Saturday, January 03, 2009

Going Digital....



Guilt and Inspiration....

So, I am a guilty scrapbooker! Guilty because I love to scrapbook, have 100's, no 1000's of pictures, too fat books that are falling apart, a room overflowing with supplies, that get outdated, no way to even guess the amount of money spent, and I am SOOOOOOOO far behind, with more children on the way.

Guilty! As charged. I have not scrapped since last July when I took the kids on vacation to Dillions beach and I am STRESSING OVER IT!

As I start to set out my goals for 2009, and I think of the crash landing site, which is my office/scrapbook room, I can feel my adomenal fat increasing by the nano-seconds.....

Then...light of inspiration and practicality, I read a posting of one of the blogs I follow : http://roomforatleastonemore.blogspot.com/2009/01/how-i-scrapbook-digitally-since-d-and-s.html about how she does digital scrapbooking. Something I have mentally avoided, although it has been mentioned to me...kind of like reading War and Peace on the internet...

But, practically, financially, stressfully.....maybe I should consider it. I have found myself avoiding taking pictures with the kids sometimes, because it would just go into my scrapbooking backlog..I have so many books that have one or two months scrapped in them, and then blanks..and my kids school books are still a year or more behind....

ok

so you get the delimna.

Then I start looking at cool layouts in places like this, http://www.theshabbyshoppe.com/homepage.asp and this http://www.peppermintcreative.com/index.php?main_page=home and this one http://www.jessicasprague.com/ and this http://www.designerdigitals.com/

And I think...hmmmmmm......

Plus, if you look at the cost of a page I do, paper embelishments, photos. etc etc...well. I think it will end up cheaper. PLUS it will get done.

Now I guilted over scrapbook night with my friends, and scrapbook club...but I thought,. well I can bring my lap top and work on my layouts with it, while they are cutting and pasting and gluing, and if I get all caught up, I will bring my knitting with me and just chat!

Then I thought about my partially done books... Well I will just pick up where ever I am and start ditigal on the next page. and here is what is even cooler, if you want multiple pages of the same thing (for multiple kids books)...you can just print another one! LOL!

Then there is club..well, I thought of that too...I can go and make a fun page here and there...and then decide..I had been thinking of moving back out of it anyway.

And think of all my fun scrapbook supplies I can give away as gifts!

So I won't be able to touch and feel and see the 3-d look of my pages...so what....

Worth the sacrifice, I think. I will let you know how this goes, as I start exploring the idea more...but I think I may be on to something....

4 Things Others Said:

Julie said...

There are tons of free digital kits out there too. http://www.shabbyprincess.com/ is one of my favorite.
Silly as it seems, as a graphic designer, I can't get into digital scrapping. I think I spend too much time on the computer as it is and so I need the cutting, etc.
But like you, I don't have as much time to scrap anymore.

Julie said...

Try www.twopeasinabucket.com too - some for purchase but some for free.

rebecca said...

Ok. U know me...I don't scrapbook, because I'm overwhelmed before I start with the thought of all the years of past photos that would have to be done! So...tell me, oh great scrapbook one, what is this digital scrapbooking thing? (Simple terms please...) Ha!

rebecca said...

Ok. You know me and I don't scrapbook because of the overwhelming thought of years of pictures that would need to be 'made pretty'. So tell me, oh great scrapbook one, what is this digital scrapbook thingy?