Thursday, July 16, 2009

it happened.....


There is a point, every summer, when it hits me. When I am ready for it to be over. Ready for fall, knitting, leaves, cooler weather.....
It usually doesn't hit this early. It is only mid-July, and too hot to be real! (101 today, 103 tomorrow, and 101 the day after that! UGH!)
But something hits, one day in the summer, when I am ready. And today it happened. What triggered it was in my mailbox. An envelope from the kids school, talking about who their teachers will be, holidays over the year, and the list of school supplies....
School supplies...that speaks a new season to me. Time to pull out "You Got Mail" and the knitting needles...
Only problem...we still have a couple months or more of HOT HOT HOT weather! What's a gal to do???
Either go coastal or go to the mountains! lol.
Feeling a little sad yet relief....
We won't be going to family camp this year. Every year for the past five years, we have gone to Lake Tahoe camping with families from our church. Being a single mom, with all the prepartion, packing, putting up the tent, keeping track of kids, taking down the tent, packing up again, getting home, unpacking..... I can't say I look forward to it. Some years it has been a very stressful trial. About two years ago, knowing how much my children LOVE it, I decided to not let it stress me anymore. To just do what I need to do, happily and enjoy my kids enjoying camping. (Oh did I mention the middle of the night bathroom trips, when I wait so long I cannot stand it, and then crawl out in the middle of the night, with the flashlight, feeling kind of scared, yet desperate....oh yea, that too!)
The camping trip is this weekend. As I sat in a hospital bed two days I go, I realized, logically, Ijust CAN'T do it this year. In my weakened state, and recovering, all the prep, tent making, etc etc...is just beyond what I can do. Should do. I dreaded telling the kids. I postponed it for almost two days. Finally, last night, as the boys were entranced in a computer game, I told them. Mild reaction. (Shock from momma) I don't know if it did not truly register with them, or if the computer game still had them hypnotized. but Nick dropped his head, held it in his hands, asked a couple questions....and then..nothing.
sigh....
So, I am relieved. BUT also a little sad. It has become such a staple of memory making in our summer. I KNOW I can't handle it this year, yet still...I think I will miss it. We may go up for the day on Saturday...if I feel up for the drive......but not the same as all my babies snuggled together in a tent, smelling of smoke and sticky smores...dirty, dusty feet, ..and me trying to go to sleep with the noise of other campers and the stress of will I need to go to the bathroom one more time! :) Nothing like it. :) There is always next year...
So summer feels like it is winding down, although we are really in the middle of it! We have had swim lessons, our week at Dillon Beach, Six Flag trips, two birthdays, Two Vacation Bible schools, soccer camps, baseball camps, basketball camps.... and a Beth Moore Conference! :) a WHOLE LOTTA SUMMER!
So, at least for today, I am ready for fall.

1 Things Others Said:

Marcy said...

i too am ready for fall...and i too gave up camping a few years back for the same reasons...too much trouble preparing and cleaning up. it's been in the 100's here too, for too long... what's the latest on your new addition??? love you much...