Wednesday, September 09, 2009

A delightful read: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society



I just finished reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society By Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (Aunt and niece).


And it is absolutely delightful. I loved this book (hated to see it end) for SO many reasons:


-the setting, post WW2, (and during) Channel Islands between England and France


-the format, the story unfolds entirely through letters written between the characters in book.


-the subject of writing and editors were a large part of the story, which made it interesting as well.


-the simplicity and authenticity of the characters lives. It made me want to pack up my bags and move to Guernsey Island.


-Juliet, the main characters growth and choices, as the story progressed.


-a delightful surprise for me tucked in the corner of the story was that of a single woman adopting a daughter.


-Besides writing, reading was a major theme of the story line and how reading impacted their liives.


I wish there was a "this is what happened next" book on the horizon. However, the author died prior to the book finishing production and her neice handled edits and saw the book through.


A delightful read and a touch into a piece of history, Germen Occupation of the Channel Islands, seldom written about. I highly recommend it!

0 Things Others Said: