Monday, June 14, 2010

Redeem the day.....

(Ready for church on Sunday)

I saw on facebook photos from the 35 year highschool reunion (where I attended my Sophomore and Junior year in Austin Texas), old-folks that looked just like me! I have been feeling down on myself, feeling so old and frumpy lately. As I looked at face after face and tried to connect to the 16 year olds I had known...I thought...I am not the only one old! lol. Its good to not be alone. :)

How quickly time passes and our bodies betray us. Our youth, physical focused culture does us such a disservice to what lies within.

{" It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;what is essential is invisible to the eye. " -Antione de St. Exupery, The Little Prince}

I look at my children, my Nick now twelve...6 more years...6 little quick years, and my man will be 18....and I think Redeem the day, Lord....let me number my days and use them well. Especially this summer. Our first summer all together...and very very few summers, as a single mom, will I get off with all my kids. (My next will be 2012 or 2013, when I get sabbatical...hoping to be able to take us all to Hawaii that year!)

I often ache over walking this path as a single parent, but it is what it is..and I love those four little faces...and as we take one day at a time, I want to savor each of them.... Love on them better and overlook the irritations more. Jesus walk with us....better yet, we want to walk with you.

So...yesterday was another first, for Olivia. I took all the kids, plus one more, friend of Nicks, to Baskin Robbins for ice cream. Mary, Nick and Taddy are all safe Vanilla kids, Olivia, chocolate and Momma...Gold Medal Ribbon! Yum! Today is another first....we are going to the pool after Nick's Arts Camp (He is a youth leader helping with the 3 and 4th graders. Pray for him. He likes the little kids more, and had the 1st and 2nd graders then got switched yesterday for some reason. Pray he will find joy in his assignment).... So Olivia's first time at the pool, and she is excited to "swim, mom, swim?"

God is good. Summer is here.


Ni Hao Y'all

5 Things Others Said:

Unknown said...

Hi Sandee,
A friend of mine gave me your blog to read. We just recently arrived home in March with our 12 year-old adopted son from Ethiopia! I would love to get in touch with you...please email me, we are in the Sacramento area as well! I have enjoyed reading about your adoption!

The Cartwright Family said...

You and Your family look great. I am so happy to Olivia's first things. I am also loving that you are planning vacation for 2013. You are my kind of girl.

Indeed redeem the days of this summer. They are passing so quickly

Monica said...

Your cute 4 look so happy and ready to enjoy a great summer. Have a great time with them... it does go fast!
Blessings,
Monica

Susan said...

Time does move so fast.... so important to live each moment!

Sandee said...

Wendi, your profile is private, so I cannot email you...unless you send me your email or try to connect through my facebook badge on the lower right....