Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sitting on the question.....


I think I wrote in the past about the concept of "sitting on a question." I had come across that direction in something I had been reading at the time, and now I cannot remember what it was.

But now I come back to that thought again. As I am struggling with something and first pulling toward my way, and then asking God His way, and just (as Beth says) "working the thing out", I struggle with not only the question itself, but the lack of an answer, yet, to the question. That is where the "sitting on the question" part comes in. To be able to trust God and be content while you are still sitting on the question.

In the bible study we are doing with the ladies at church on the Patriarchs, just last week the message was on Abraham and God having a dialogue over whether God would destroy S & G if there were righteous people in it..even 10. (See Gen 18, I think). But in that dialogue she talked about how we can, in prayer and intercession, work something through with God. It maybe in the end, we see God had a plan all along and we surrender to that plan, and it may be we see a plan we never knew and He reveals something fresh to us. But the working it through with God, sitting on the question with God, is the part that struck me.

Like Jacob, later in Genesis, wrestling with God all night and then at the end, a changed man, asking God to bless him.

Sometimes in our questions with God we will take another approach....where, without an immediate answer, we do our own thing. Like Abraham, Sarah and Hagar and try to bring out our version of God's will ourselves. Oh how often have I walked that path? And God always forgives, and will bless in the future, but there are always consequences as well. Most we will never foresee. I think of David and Bathsheba, where David did what he wanted, knowing fully well it was not God's will. Suffered sad and painful consequences, yet after a contrite heart, was blessed with Solomon, through whose line we have Jesus.

So as I wrestle, I have to keep coming back to trust. To trusting God when I see no answer...no good answer, when I want to know what to do, and yet do not. To trust and sit. And surrender as I want to rush off and do what I think best (easiest) and give no time or room for God to show Himself. "There is a way that seems right unto a man, but the end there of is destruction."....

"Trust in the Lord with all my heart, lean not on my own understanding, in ALL my ways acknowledge Him and He WILL direct my path." Prov 3:5,6

When I am _____________ (wanting direction and don't have it yet) i will trust in you. PS 56:3

During this time a couple hymns keep coming back to me and I am singing them in my mind, and even out loud at times. (I so do not want my children to lose the great comfort and truth in hymns. I have an old hymnal, I hope I did not steal it, I do not remember how it became mine, but I love going through it. I love that the kids school still sings old hymns in chapel at times. )

Here are a couple that really speak to me in this sitting on a question and trusting God:

Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus

Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to take Him at His Word
Just to rest upon His promise
Just to know :Thus saith the Lord"

Jesus, Jesus how I trust Him
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus Precious Jesus
O for grace to trust Him more.

O how sweet to trust in Jesus
Just to trust His cleansing blood
Just in simple faith to plunge me
Neath the healing, cleansing flood.

Jesus, Jesus how I trust Him
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus Precious Jesus
O for grace to trust Him more.

Yes, tis sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just from sin and self to cease
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest and joy and peace.

Jesus, Jesus how I trust Him
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er.
Jesus, Jesus Precious Jesus
O for grace to trust Him more.

I'm so glad I learn'd to trust thee,
Precious Jesus Savior Friend
And I know that Thou art with me
Wilt be with me to the end.
--------------
Another that comes to my mind it Trust and Obey. Because as I trust in God to lead me where He wants me to go when I have questions, I also have to be willing and determined to obey when His answer may not be my preference.

I find at times, I may have the tendency to wait on God answer, so I say, but am truly in my heart waiting for God to agree with what I think the answer is. And then if that is not what He reveals, I go with my answer instead.

How pitiful we are. How short sighted. O for grace to trust Him more.

0 Things Others Said: