Saturday, November 15, 2008

In Honor of Julee



...who is not only an awesome woman, single mother, friend, teacher, child of God, but spells the end of her name with two eeeeeeeee's just like me...and TODAY catches up with me in being 51!!! Yes, now the WHOLE internet (eh,hmmm. the two folks that read my blog, that is) know our age!.


Happy Birthday, Julee dear! This cupcake is for you!!!!



In honor of Julee, I want to share a fantastic recipe...that I owe to her. It is not for cupcakes, it is for a delicious Italian-style sausage-stuffed french loaf. I have made it for years and it is always praised....but first the back story, that maybe Julee doesn't even know all of.


When we were in our late 20's Julee and I were roommates sharing an appt for a while, us and our kitty cats! When Julee moved out to her own apt, she accidently left behind a WONDERFUL cookbook, in fact one of my very favorite of all time cookbooks. The Silver Palate Cookbook by Julee (hey, I just noticed same spelling, different gal, hmmmm) Rosso and Sheila Lukan. I noticed the cookbook months later, or even maybe a year or two later, (not much of a cook in those days) after Julee had moved even farther away. Inside were her handwritten notes, some other recipes, her plans for an herb garden, as well as TONS of wonderful recipes. I must confess, I could not stand to part with it!




It felt like I had a little piece of her still. Sorry Julee, if you have been missing that cookbook these past 23 or so years... (sheepishly I confess) I have it. I loved this cookbook SO much, that I had to order the other one by the same authors, The Silver Palate Goodtimes Cookbook. In fact just last Christmas, or the one before, I ordered this cookbook for another dear friend, Rebecca, who loves to cook. I knew, a kindred spirit...she would love it too. (Julee, Perhaps I should have purchased YOU one! lol!! )


So the recipe: Sausage-Stuffed French Loaves, from the Silver Palate Goodtimes Cookbook.


A hearty sandwich that doubles as an hors d'oeuvre when thinnly sliced. Great hot or cold. A perfect picnic fare too.


2 fat long loaves of french bread.

8 ounces of bulk pork sausage

8 ounces of ground beef chuck

1 medium yellow onion diced

1 egg

1 tsp of Dijon style mustard

1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley

1/4 tsp of fennel seeds

Salt and Pepper to taste

2 tablespoons of unsalted butter

1 cloves of garlic crushed.




1. Preheat the oven to 400 F

2. Cut off the ends of the loaves and hollow out the loaves with your fingers. Process the bread in a food processor fitted with a steel blade to course crumbs. Reserve the bread ends.

3. Brown the sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the beef and onion and cook until the beef is lightly brown.

4. Combine the bread crumbs, meat mixture, egg, mustard, parsley, fennel and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Spoon the mixture into the bread shells. Attach the bread ends with small skewers.

5. Melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the garlic. Saute for 30 seconds, then brush the loaves with the garlic butter and wrap in seperate pieces of aluminum foil, leaving the foil open slightly at the top.

6. Bake until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.

7. Cut into 1 inch slices for hors d'oeuvres or cut each loaf into four pieces for main course servings.



8 main-course portions or 36 appetizer portions.



A couple hints, usually 1 inch pieces are not enough for adults. Also, if you do not want to make two loaves, I still cook all the meat, and freeze half for a later date and make one loaf.



yummy yummy in your tummy.



Happy Birthday Julee!!!!!! The best is happening, right now!! All God's blessings to you and your precious daughters....you are investing in what counts...at work and at home.



big hug!!!!





0 Things Others Said: