Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bread, Basketball and Knitting....


I want to make this bread recipe! But first I want the cool cast iron pot to cook it in. (From Mother Earth, here: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-12-01/Easy-No-Knead-Dutch-Oven-Crusty-Bread.aspx
and Leslie at a friend to knit with told me about it here: http://a-friend-to-knit-with.blogspot.com/2009/01/time-well-spent.html

Of course my cast iron pot would have to be red, not blue...since red is my kitchen thing.

No Knead, Dutch Oven Bread

1/4 tsp active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting. You may use white, whole wheat or a combination of the two.
1 1/2 tsp salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran for dusting

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
Add the flour and salt, stirring until blended. The dough will be shaggy and sticky.
Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rest at least 8 hours, preferably 12 to 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

The dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it. Sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice.
Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for about 15 minutes.

Using just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to the work surface or to your fingers, gently shape it into a ball. Generously coat a clean dish towel with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal. Put the seam side of the dough down on the towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another towel and let rise for about 1 to 2 hours.

When it’s ready, the dough will have doubled in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least 20 minutes before the dough is ready, heat oven to 475 degrees.
Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in the oven as it heats.
When the dough is ready, carefully remove the pot from the oven and lift off the lid.
Slide your hand under the towel and turn the dough over into the pot, seam side up.
The dough will lose its shape a bit in the process, but that’s OK. Give the pan a firm shake or two to help distribute the dough evenly, but don’t worry if it’s not perfect; it will straighten out as it bakes.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes.


Remove the lid and bake another 15 to 20 minutes, until the loaf is beautifully browned. Remove the bread from the Dutch oven and let it cool on a rack for at least 1 hour before slicing.

Now doesn't that sound yummy? I may have to do this Friday or Saturday.

On to basketball, Nick has his first basketball game tonight, well actually this afternoon at 4:30 and it is way across town in rush hour traffic, but we will be there..with our pompoms! I am also taking two other boys...to a full mini-van....and then we have to rush back from Rangers and Bible study...but I am excited about Nick being in a team sport and Mary and Taddy are excited about going to his game. Yea, Nick!

Nick made a statement the other day, when he was telling me about a boy at school that picks on him and his bestfriend, also called Nick. He said the boy did not pick on the "cool" boys in his class. I prickled at the label "cool boys". I remember that whole popularity, cool vs..everything else in the world, school clicks, and I was hoping at a Christian school, 5th grade, that perhaps.... sigh.... I know.... I remember the Christian junior high and highschool I went to, and the many church youth groups, there were clicks! :( so sad.

So I asked him, what made them "cool". And he said, they are REALLY good at sports. Oh the judgement of a man, how sportsy they are. Nick is so brilliant at so many things.... smart, musical, comical, heart for God, creative...and he likes sports...just may not be the tallest or biggest or fastest. Yet, he has mentally classified himself in the uncool catagory based on sporting abilities. I need to foucs on this, and have those "talks" as the opportunities come up. That God does not plan our lives or call us according to our "coolness" as the culture around us judges coolness, but according to what he sees in our heart. Yet, I know, even as a Christian, how hard it is for a "tween" (as he loves to call himself, he says he is truly a tween now that he has a gameboy, that to really be a tween, you are not just 10,11 or 12, but you must have either a gameboy type device or a cell phone. yep. it seeps in, even you when shut the doors to it. lol). ...anyway, it is hard for tweens and beyond to not judge themselves and others by what they see being held as value. And it is probably hard for the "cool" guys to not buy their own press.

So it was a peek to me, on what is to come. Moving from the strollers, and carseats and little people fisher price toys, to the basketballs and hoodies, and "coolometers".

Lord, help my children see in me...and in them, that it is YOU that is the coolest!

Knitting..... yes, although Christmas is past, I have continued on with the knitting buy. Made three scarves...all for me, I might add. :) the last one was a red to pink to maroon varigated yarn, that made a skinny long scarf, hat and toasties... I also have made a poncho, and play to make matching ones for the three girls. So my knitting-therapy is alive and well, going whereever I go. I know love long stoplights, as I get in a few loops and stitches.

....we are doing the second week in the Esther study, by Beth Moore, as church tonight and I am looking forward to it. IT is a great study and the newsest by Beth. And I know God's timing is always full of his providence as we go through this study.

Dear Nancy, I am praying for you and cannot wait until you are back with us...)

Have a blessed Tuesday or whatever day....you happen to read this.

Sandee

0 Things Others Said: