Thursday, January 15, 2009

loss


"What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ"


Philippians 3:8 (NIV)
So, I was thinking about.... and overhearing....
All the economic concerns swirling around like snowflurries in the air. You find it at church in the sermon, on blogs in whats new, or what to pray for, on the corner with the store closing, in the email alerts with the California Tax Return IOU's, in the whispered cubicle conversations at work.
It is there. Gaining momentum, gaining fear.

Taddy's verse this morning, that he is memorizing, the first part of it reads:
"And David said to his son Solomon: Be strong and of good courage and do it. Do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord God, my God, will be with you.".... we have more to go in memorizing it, but that is the first part.
We have been doing some mental and financial resets at home. Good things, aware things. We are by no means hurting, compared to many many many many others who have a harder situation than us. Changes, loss, or percieved loss, has still been part of our family.
Yet...
Any tightening of the belt, opening of the eyes of awareness and adjusting, spending less, ... is turning out to be good for us.
We are focused more on God and more on each other. Things, stuff, and distractions give way to relationships and time spent with each other.
So, loss is gain.
And I will not fear, God is with us. Not because I have done right, not because I am perfect, not because of anything I do.
Because He is God, and He is loving, and He is relentless...working, preparing, planning....good thoughts toward us. Stripping away with loving hands that which would distract us from him.
So be strong and be of good courage. God has given you something to do! Do it. Do it well. Do it in love and peace. Do it in joy.
For we have lost it all, if we miss Jesus.

1 Things Others Said:

ellerbee eight said...

While I don't subscribe to the notion that God "does" things to us that hurt so that we will become more aware of him, isn't it amazing that when things happen such as economic hardship and terrorist attacks etc... it does bring us all not only closer to Him, but closer to each other as well? We are not hurting compared to those people who have lost their jobs, homes, health insurance etc, but we have felt the stress of decreasing our income by at least 25% these last few months. But God's glory will be shown through it all! And I will praise him.