Friday, March 06, 2009

re-Inspiration

Re-inspiration~reinspiration... to inspire again, repeat inspiration.

I made it up. It is not in Webster's dictionary. But maybe is should be.

This morning I was reading in Philippians Chapter 3, verse 1, (my current spot in trying to read the Bible backwards), and it led me to think on reinspiration.

"Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you."

The words that stand out to me, besides rejoicing in the
Lord, are:

no trouble
same things
again
safeguard

One commentary said: "Where serious error is present, there is safety in repetition."

God reminds us, the Spirit brings things to our memory, scripture repeats scripture bringing back a message or thought again and again.

{John 14:26 But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.}

I have often heard the same message from several different places, all within a close time frame. I may read a line in a book, then hear a song phrase, and then a sermon point or a bible study will echo the same theme, once, twice, or more, the same thought.

My two boys memorize Bible verses at school, a new verse every week. I too, am trying to memorize a new verse every 15 days. Nick remarked how lately our verses seem to be carrying the same theme, although we had no orchestration of that. He says, with a grin, "God is trying to tell us something." :) Yes, He is.

Graciously, out of love, it is no trouble for God to tell us again, remind us, of something He wants us to know. To get.

I often re-read a book and am surprised, slightly alarmed/perturbed, though also joyfully re-inspired, when a key thought or principle that impacted me before, does it again. I have a re-epiphany. Like a familiar friend, that I have forgotten about, or a friend I am getting to know better, deeper.

Sometimes I get upset with myself-that I did not remember that...that I need the repeat. I feel my logical mind hesitating to read again a book I have read once or twice before. Yet, part of me keeps longing to go back and read Believing God by Beth Moore or Things Unseen by Mark Buchanan again, and again. I need to GET it.

Or I feel myself shying away from repeating a Bible Study I have done in the past.
Yet, I find, when I do, it speaks to me again! Sometimes the same things, sometimes different things. I am different the second time, my circumstances may be different now, my concerns - different, my heart is different and it speaks to me...again.

Reinspiration.

It is silly to feel like there is something wrong with me to need repetition. Repetition given lovingly is demonstrative love. It is for my soul's safety, that God finds it “no trouble” to tell me again the same things He has told me before...

...like I love you.

As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. Psalm 103:13 ,14

He knows we need a repeat, three-peat, infinity-peat.

Carrying this farther, with my children, I should not be dismayed when I see they need me to lovingly repeat a lesson, coaching, correction or guidance. It is a safeguard for them.

I need to do it with my "fresh mommy voice" not my haven't-I-told-you-this-a-1000-times voice; joyfully with a "no trouble" attitude. The same attitude God has toward me. Not a nag nag nag, but a hug hug hug.

Re-inspire them and Lord, reinspire me.

Thank you that you know how we are made and you plan for it. Say it again Lord, Please, until I get it..and then again, just for the joy of it.

~Amen. So bet it. Amen.

2 Things Others Said:

crispy said...

beautiful ~

Lisa Bates said...

It was good for me to read this today. It reminds me that children learn from repetition and so do I!