Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Am I a chicken? wimp?




I went over my dear friends house last night for a "momma sleepover". Dinner (something more sophisticated than mac n cheese) hot cocoa, movie, knitting, chatting....a night away for the kids. I really enjoyed it. Loved to spend time with her...relaxed. It was a great night....


Then...when it came close to time to go to bed...I started feeling sad and lonely and HOMESICK! :) Although I was only about 15 miles away from home, and by the time I would get back to home my kids would be all in bed... I just could not stand it. Not being home in bed in the same house as my kids.

Am I a chicken-wimp?

The boys have spent the night at a friends, or their dads from time to time, and I have to admit, I always feel uneasy at bedtime, with them not there for me to tuck them in. And the last time I was away, I think was about 3 years ago?....

I guess I am just a mother hen and need to be in the nest with my little chicks! So I drove home late, took a shortcut and got lost and got home even later....but my babies were still awake and I got to hug and nighty-night them all. sigh.....

And I realize, again, something that has been popping up over and over again this past year. That just because we could do something, or just because someone else does something and it is great for them, does not mean it works for us. It just seems that being together works so much better for us. Smaller scale, closer to home.....

Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.

1 Things Others Said:

Rose said...

It's been a long time since I've been away from home overnight so I'm not sure how I would react. I know when my 13 year old went for his first weekend youth retreat this fall I had a hard time letting go of the feeling that something was just not right. I was so glad to have him home again.