Thursday, December 31, 2009

Bye Bye 2009

You were an awesome year of growth and love and good times and challenging ones. Thank you Lord for your plans for 2009 that came about. Lead us on!



Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Bye Bye 2009
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow



Reflections on 2009 -This idea came from Incourage.

1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?

That is hard to answer...single most. single.... hard to pick one. the top that come to mind is seeing Taddy water-baptized, his choice, to profess his belief in Jesus. In refection, another is finally coming to terms with grace and that it is not my performance that counts, and with my ministry is my family and not feeling like that is less. So I would say, God is what was the best happening this year...


2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?

Again, I struggle with picking just one. But the biggest challenge is the harmony between and with my children. It is a real crisis right now, and not resolved. Finances would be the runner up. You would think the adoption delays and waiting waiting would be, but that moved past challenging into acceptance.

3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?

I found some awesome advice and friends in cyberspace this year. Reconnecting with Marcy, from highschool, "meeting" Linny and her lovely family {and winning a Memorial Box from her}, learning of Dr. Karyn Purvis and the hope she brings to adoptive families like us, reading the Holy Experience by Ann V and the impact her words have on my heart and hope. Rediscovering my love for creating and exploring knitting, embroidery, crocheting and sewing. All unexpected joys. But the greatest joy has been family. Especially Saturday nights with my parents over. Simple meals, playing cards, hanging with the kids. that has been my greatest unexpected joy.

4. What was an unexpected obstacle?

Finances! I don't know what happened, but all of a sudden (it felt like) the larder was empty and things got tough. Adjustments were made, and are still being made, and a new lifestyle is emerging. I like that. But it was unexpected.

5. Pick three words to describe 2009.

deeper, aching, hopeful

(Skpped 6 and 7, it was about a spouse, which I don't have)

8. What were the best books you read this year?

Oh that one is yummy. Read tons. ..not as much as I would like:

God's Word
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society By Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (Aunt and niece).
Velva Jean Learns to Drive (Jennifer Niven)
Shanghai Girls (Lisa See)
Also Known As Harper
Ethan Frome
The Connected Child
How to Make Brothers and Sisters Best Friends
The Lucky One (Nicholas Sparks)
Dream when You're Feeling Blue (Elizabeth Berg)
Water for Elephants (Sara Gruen)
Scarlett Letter
Ethan Frome
Beyond Consequences, Logic and Control
A Mercy (Toni Morrison)
John ( Beth Moore)

9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?

Jesus, my kids, my parents....and many dear friends, face to face and online, that added richly to my life (Rebecca, Stephanie, Heather, Kristy, Donna, ...others)

10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?

My hair color!~ lol..... Weight (lost 25 lbs, but gained a chunk back. :( My love for my family. I did not think it could get greater. But it did. It is almost an ache, I love them so much and long for them to grow in God so much and to love each other. This was not asked (at least yet, I have not finished the list), but if asked what my one wish for 2010 would be, that my children would grow in their love for God and in their love from each other so that you could see it demonstrated in peace and care for each other. I am truly longing, praying and seeking for a family transformation this year in loving one another. I want it more than anything.


11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
Let go of the perfection (performance) excpectation and crawled under the blanket of grace. Came to contented peace with who I am and my place in God, and my place in my family as being important.....in charge of little things as God's servant.


12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?

I think the same as the question above....grace and contentment. I will see my failings so glaringly and just wish I could magic-wand them away... I still struggle with doing what I know to be right, what I know to "work"...daily time with God and his word, and then being a servant in my heart...but my wants last.

13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?

That's a funny question. Well I certainly am not taller....or younger! lol.

14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?

More in love with my children. More appreciative of my parents. More accepting of myself. More aware of the blessings of friends.

15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?

Wow, the words enjoyable and home management in the same sentence??!!! I love making little things for the home, decorating or making it homey. Organizing the calendar and kids centers I guess, for school, and backpacks, coats, etc.

16. What was your most challenging area of home management?

Meals. Still is the bane of my existance.

17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?

Ouch! the internet?

18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?

-Quiet time and bible study
-Playing games with the kids, family meetings, walks, kid projects, holiday activities with the kids.
-Creative time: knitting, sewing, etc.

19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?

That there is always hope. That God is never done, or fed up, or exasperated. That He is wise and caring and has no limit to his understanding. That he is all the time working behind the scenes. That if I could see, He is urgning me to just believe and do what I know to do....to walk humbly with my God.

20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.

Uncover the wounds, exposing to THE hope.

0 Things Others Said: