Saturday, January 16, 2010

Along the road....duex


I started this post the other day...but then was so tired...I had to wait Today, something Beth has shared, and a couple days of mulling, have cooked it up well. :)

A blend of God's glory being everywhere and waiting on God's greater yes.
I love the verses in Deuteronomy about talking with your kids about God when you get up, when you go to sleep, when you go along the road....

5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.
9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates. -Deut 6:5-9

The other day we were driving to school. And I don't remember how the conversation started, but one of us shared something about an analogy. And I said, "Here is a fun game. Pick two things and then share how it is an analogy about God. "

Nick wanted to try and my knitting bag was there, so I told him to look inside, pick two things and then share how it tells us something about God. He picked my in progress knitting and my scissors, and said...

"It is like a modern day "vines and the branches" story. {John 15}. God is knitting us into something, and cuts off what does not work." I said, yes...you are right, sometimes we get knots or snarls...{I actually fumbled and merged the words and said "snots" rather than knots and snarls, and that got quite a hoot out of the kids.}... and has to cut them out ...because He is making us into his masterpiece...{10For we are God's [own] handiwork (His workmanship),.. Eph 2:10}.

We talked on about the verse that says the whole world is filled with God's glory. ..and how it has, like much of God's word, many layers to the richness of its meaning. Glory is the manifestation of God, something or someone that shows us a piece of God, his way, his presence, how God is.... I like to call it a "bit of God" or "Godbits"... They liked that...? Godbits sticks a litle better in a kids mind (and mine) than the word glory. So I told them when ever they hear glory think, God bit. a bit of God....

We talked about the verse that says he is transforming us from glory to glory...I said it was from one God bit to the next God bit. That we see a bit of God and we are changed, then he shows us another bit of God and we are changed...from Godbit to Godbit.

18And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, {ever increasing Godbits} which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

or as the King James says it: are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Corinthians 3:18

Back to the whole earth is filled with His Glory (or God bits)...

1) The whole earth is filled with nature which relects and shows something of God, how He is, his beauty...a bit of Him.

2)The whole earth is filled with people, man,, woman, we are made in the image of God...so again if we look deep enough, God bits all over

3)...the one we were focused on, the whole earth is filled with analogies of the way God is, little bits of God... a story to find that tells us about who God is, or how he works, or loves.... like the knitting and the scissors.

All around are things that reflect a bit of God, if we look for it. So we started looking for it. The kids loved this, it was like a mystery or treasure hunt, to find something that taught us something about God.

Shortly after that, we were stopped in traffic because of a little puppy running around the busy road and two other cars stopped to help it. We stopped too, and blocked traffic to keep others from coming, in hopes of helping the puppy. One driver, so insensitive and wanting to get to his work, no matter what, kept creeping his car up closer to my son, and drove around and by him, although their were four people motioning to him and telling him to stop....my son was actually in front of his car, both hands raised, and he still decided to turn around him and squeeze through the cars stopped, the people running after the puppy..and he would not make eye contact with any of us. I finally raised my hands at him and said, Can you not see my son??!!! He would not look at me, just kept driving...


After the puppy was saved and we all got back in our cars...we were quiet and thought. Nick said ...that showed us to take time out and stop our plans to help others, even a puppy. Kind of like the Good Samaritan story. And I said, and that man, is teaching me to forgive. That some folks just don't want to see the message.


And Mary pipes up...and God is saying to help others. :) Wonderful Godbits along the way.


Later in the day, I had a great disappointment to me..and was really festering in the "why doesn't God answer yes, when it is a good thing??!!" Beth's post today speaks right to that. That sometimes what we are suggesting to God, is not what He is doing. What I love about what she shares, is that she shares it through one of those perfect Godbit analogies that are all around us...

The whole earth is filled with Godbits....His glory... uncover some.

PS. I wonder what my pile of laundry is telling me?

0 Things Others Said: