Thursday, March 04, 2010

Simplify ... an example...


Yesterday, I mentioned my desire to simplify...and here is a perfect example of the things that pull against that....
What are you doing for spring break....
My kids are off from school for a week and a day...and I usually take the week off too.
In years past we have rented a house at the beach, gone to Santa Cruz (and it rained all week), gone to Disneyland and San Diego.... and some years I have had them in a soccer or basketball camp.
Some pretty cool things. { $$$}
Yesterday I was talking to my friend and she said they were driving to Arizona for part of the spring break... an 8 hour drive from her house.
And my mind started spinning....hey we could take an 8 hr drive. We could go to Disneyland, or Lego land....we could .... And I started thinking of the cost of hotels. and amusement park tickets and food and gas...and all the logistics and packing, and car time....and....
....whoa..... who would be vacationing? Why would I do this???? Sure my kids would be thrilled, and I think trips to Disneyland from time to time are great...don't get me wrong.
But I had just been talking about simplification....and I am trying so to influence my kids out of affluenza and into more simple pleasures..... so quickly I got into the do-something-big-and-special for spring break.
Glad I stopped short.
We are going to stay home.
In our new home.
And work on planting our garden and seeing a movie or two. With a whole week, we should have a pretty cool garden spot.....
Hang out at home. simple fun...and FREE! :) Simplify me!

1 Things Others Said:

Renee said...

A week of gardening sounds just heavenly! I hope you & your sweeties enjoy the break. Hugs, Renee