Tuesday, August 02, 2011

It was a normal day....and then I cried.

It was a normal day.  In fact, a good day.    Walking into Starbucks this morning with mailbox flyers to read in line...looking at new beds for the boys, maybe a new coach, JJILL catalog under my arm...waiting for my latte.  Feeling good.  Then on the way out, the front page of today's new York Times grabbed my eyes.  

I read the byline beneath the photograph.

500,000
my stomach lurched, my eyes filled with tears.  I quickly moved out the door, toward my car and cried all the way to the parking lot.  Pray/cried all the way to work.

I live occupied by my yard, and yes, that is the "talent" God has given me to invest, so I know I am doing the right thing, but while I am rearranging furniture and buying school supplies and having a latte on my way to work, 500,000 children in a hospital in Somalia are starving to death.


The pictures will kill you.  And we think, I think....should we look at them.  Should we not?   What good will it do.  What good can I do.  In this case, aid intended to help is being blocked from entering the country.

And I know Somalia is just one of the many countries around the world suffering from famine.   And I know this 500,000 is probably 100 times that around the world...

And it is overwhelming and hard and ....  I cry.

I cry out to God.  As I am sure, our loving Father cries and sees each one.   And I pray for these children.   And my heart is broken.

I can not fix our broken world.   But what can I do?  What can I do and still take care of the "talents" God has given me...these four children in my yard?

I don't have answers.  Today I only have questions and tears and an aching heart.

1 Things Others Said:

LisaMarie said...

I know! I go through those days! I wish I could say I do something..but for now, I have just adopted three from foster care and my world is spinning. I can't imagine doing any more. I pray, and cry with you. Thank you.