Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The joy of boxes!

Spring Break: Day 2.


I had been feeling a little bad because we usually have some big adventure on spring break. One year it was a drive up the coast, one year rented a house in Santa Cruz, one year we went to Six Flags, San Francisco and Monterey for the week.


This year, we stayed home. In fact, I am working three of the five days with the two boys at home...we may do an adventure day 4 and 5. So I was feeling bad. Like I had deprived my kids of fun, adventure, good times, good memories.


But I have been seeing, good times and good memories can be made with less orchestration.


So today the adventure is boxes. Nick saw a picture in a craft book on how to make stuff out of boxes. So during a break from meetings, we piled in the van, went first to get gas..the boys loved "washing" all the windows with the scrubbers, and then sat facinated at the swirling soapy monsters attacking our car through the carwash.


Then it was the hunt for boxes. Our second back alley excursion found two perfect specimens...a FedEX and a Xerox box in pristine condition. Homeward bound they could not WAIT to burst out of the car.


First the boxes were rocket ships, then treasure chests. At the moment they are being converted to television sets, with a few stuffed animals standing my to serve as actors. Knobs, volume setting, tape and dvd slots are being drawn on as we speak.


:) Don't cha just love it? Kids are a gift from God. Thank you Lord.

PS. Later that same day: The boys set up their "tvs" on the front sidewalk, and wrote out newstories and weather reports. They used me as editor on a few, to write their scripts for them. They put up a sign 75 cents and charged folks in the neighborhood to listen to their newscast!!!! LOL!!! Most the customers were grandma, grandpa and me....but they got a few cents from kids in the neighborhood, and one time when I checked on them, two little girls were sitting with rapt attention in front of the TV sets listening to Nick! :)

2 Things Others Said:

Becki said...

I am so pleased that there are mothers who can still find delight in "boxes", yet cherish the memories of their children's smile. Great post!

Becki said...

I am so pleased that there are mothers who can still find delight in "boxes", yet cherish the memories of their children's smile. Great post!