Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer Bible Study....

Update: (6/25)

I did the first day's homework. I think this is going to be good..... It is about self-talk and how we impact our soul by what we say and think to ourselves....starting first about ourselves. My self talk is so negative...I think this is so timely in my life.... Finish the sentence: "I am ____________"...and hear what you say to yourself. :( God is good in His grace to remind us of this...

I am looking forward to getting into this study!

So here is my homework from Beth's Intro Session:

1. An icebreaker just so we can have the opportunity to be ridiculous: What breed of dog do you most resemble in demeanor and why?

I am a Morkie - Maltese/Yorkie, like my little dog Bella. Why? Because I am kind of scruffy and mixed up looking, have a heart of love, but will growl and nip when sleepy, stressed or hungry, love comfy naps, respond enthusiastically to affection, love to get out and take a walk, love to lick (kiss) my kids faces and I don't always do what I am suppose to!

2. This one will help us get to know one another’s priority needs right now. Get out a pen and paper and craft a one-sentence text message with a limit of 160 characters that starts with (and includes) these words: Please pray for me. I…

Please pray for me I am having a hard time finding God and joy in the mundane. I feel like I am self-absorbed and untethered. I am hoping this study will re-jumpstart my connection with God and joy in life. (167 characters...not too bad!)


3. Read Psalm 19 out of The Message to the rest of the group. Lock in on the section that describes what the Word of God (called by other names such as “revelation”) does for us. Mention each benefit of studying Scripture and give a short and specific testimony as an encouragement.

Ps 19 (MSG)

1-2 God's glory is on tour in the skies,
God-craft on exhibit across the horizon.
Madame Day holds classes every morning,
Professor Night lectures each evening.

3-4 Their words aren't heard,
their voices aren't recorded,
But their silence fills the earth: unspoken truth is spoken everywhere.

4-5 God makes a huge dome for the sun—a superdome!
The morning sun's a new husband leaping from his honeymoon bed,
The daybreaking sun an athlete racing to the tape.

6 That's how God's Word vaults across the skies from sunrise to sunset,
Melting ice, scorching deserts, warming hearts to faith.

7-9 The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear and point out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four-carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.

10 God's Word is better than a diamond, better than a diamond set between emeralds.
You'll like it better than strawberries in spring, better than red, ripe strawberries.

11-14 There's more: God's Word warns us of danger and directs us to hidden treasure.
Otherwise how will we find our way?
Or know when we play the fool?

Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh!
Keep me from stupid sins, from thinking I can take over your work;
Then I can start this day sun-washed, scrubbed clean of the grime of sin.


These are the words in my mouth;
these are what I chew on and pray.
Accept them when I place them on the morning altar, O God, my Altar-Rock, God, Priest-of-My-Altar
.

Wow! I am knocked over by these words... my heart aches and cries. I know, I know I know I KNOW the difference feeding on God's word, Daily, in the morning makes in my life! I KNOW, how having his scripture in my mind, on my tongue, written down in my purse and reviewed during the day, "pulls my life together".... I have experience the from death to life phenomenon of God's word in my heart and life. I know it.

Yet, I still struggle with drinking, eating from it. Consistently, daily....and I die and wither and KNOW why!!!!

Lord help me to drink.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come join the Siesta's on Beth Moore's blog! We are starting a summer bible study...on line..sorta.... Here's the details: Summer Bible Study





Click for First Session Kick-off.


I am thirsty for some summer living water, how about you???

1 Things Others Said:

Lisa Bates said...

I pray for a great summer with God for you!