Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Fringe on my jeans...




PS. Nick took a picture of my jeans.....so here is the real deal. :)








_____________________________________________________






I like small.

I like little. Handmade, pretty details. Itty bitty adds a lot and feels special.

I crocheted some "fringe" for my jeans. (This is not the right picture, I will have to take/post a picture later). I have some jeans that had a beaded fringe that had long ago lost all but one or two strands. As I was working on the fun blue scarf in the picture. I just love the little curly fringe on the edge of it. (It is made by chaining 10, then doing two single crochets in each chain). It twirls and bobs and bounces with cuteness. I thought, I would love little fringe like this on my de-beaded jeans! So that is what I did. Stopped scarf construction, jumped to fringe construction and stayed up to 1 am last night. (yawn)...and am wearing the bobbing cuteness today. I am looking for an excuse to wear the same jeans all week. lol.

I was thinking, as I went to heat up my soup for lunch, how much little silly joy I am getting from my bobbing fringe today. That moved my thoughts on to how the little things are SO worth it and bring a sense of goodness.

There are so many options in our world. Stores, Internet, this that, plastic, metal, modern. I love ignoring all that, and focusing on small, touchable, a little fold tucked in. Stop the clatter, listen to the whisper.

That is how God works, I think. Often. The whisper, the little joys tucked into the corner of the day. Like last night.

We are reading, as I mentioned before, a section at a time a book about family and brothers and sisters being friends. I just loved how God tucked in a little confirmation love to last nights reading. Our reading was about serving each other in a family, rather than trying to be the leader, or me first. It talked about the attributes of a servant and about how we want to do big and important things with our life, but God's training ground is all the little things in our family. It brought a lot of discussion at the table which ended with my two boys voluntarily clearing the table and doing the dishes! :)

As they were cleaning, I was sitting in the hall "frogging" * (more on that in a minute) and I noticed the white board where we write the weekly school memory verses. Earlier before dinner, I had Tad write his out. In his wobbly handwriting I read:

"His master replied, 'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' Matt 25:21

I called for the kids and had Tad read it. He grinned from ear to ear and said, that is just the same! We were talking about that..and Nick added, God must be telling us something.:)

I love that! A little bit of God whispering into our day.

Small, little, special....like my bobbing fringe. :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

repurposing, recycling and frogging.

Knitty.com defines frogging like this:

In Japan, the kajika goes kerokero. In Spain the rana sings cruá-cruá. A beka would say bre-ke-ke in Hungary. Here in Norway, frosker sier kvakk.
In the knitting world, however, frogs say "rip it, rip it." And that's the reason knitters use the term "frogging" as they merrily unravel their hours worth of knitting.


I love the whole concept of reuse and repurposing. I "discovered: {what others have already known} the concept of taking an old sweater and frogging it to reuse the yarn into something new. I found three sweaters at a thrift store yesterday, plus a half knitted something, and I was frogging one last night when I spied Tad's memory verse. I plan to remake the yarn into some Toasts! (and these too.)

1 Things Others Said:

Deborah Ann said...

Wow, you are so talented! I'll bet those jeans look pretty cool...