Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Some thing's gotta give....


My son's load:
School, {homework}, he takes advanced Math and Band, so he misses Bible and Reading and always has that as homework, plus saxophone practice 30 minutes a day, piano lessons, piano practice, basketball practice, one to two basketball games a week, Royal Rangers {scouts}, in which he is the senior guide, work for badges for that, major school projects, youth Thursday nights, regional spelling bee...and in the middle of all this the house is chaos with moving....
his edges are getting frayed....
I can see the stress stacking up....some thing's gotta give.
And it is all good stuff. I see him leaning toward dropping the music...which I hate for him to do. He is very talented. I am afraid if he drops it, then he will not pick it back up. Yet, if it only brings stress and he does not practice, more times than he does.... what good is there in forcing it?
Basketball is over in two weeks....
He's only in 6th grade. Now is the time to teach choices. And although there is good, there is also best. I told him to pray about it....and we will talk in the morning and I will ask God to give us both wisdom. ..
like mother like son....
the "drop" dilemma....what do you drop?
Tuesday night Bible study is just too hard. I hate to say that....I LOVE Bible study, it feeds me.... but it is the scramble to get home from work, kids fed, homework done, to church early with some semblance of calm and ....{?? what?? I don't know, something} to lead a Bible Study. It is just too much. I do not do a good job. Anyone could turn on a dvd player...and that is all I am doing....yet stressing, about being late, and not doing more...
I quit before. For almost a year. I am feeling I need to quit again. Maybe for this season, I just can't do it. Am I failing? I could not tell you if God wanted me to lead Bible Study or not. The logical side would say, well of course He would....but really? would he, of course?
I know, just because it is hard, does not mean it is not what he wants....but I have no sense that he does want...me to LEAD. To study God's word, YES, but to lead..... am I being selfish? To want to drop this role?
See....like mother like son......
some thing's gotta give.

3 Things Others Said:

ellerbee eight said...

I tend to always over do it... I add and add and add more things until I reach a breaking point. I am stressed about taking the kids to their music lessons, soccer practice, drama practice, bible class. Then I am so stressed out, I end up quitting several things in an attempt to simplify life. Then eventually I feel guilty and do it all over again. What a cycle. I feel sorry for ya!

Unknown said...

Loving yourself has a lot to do with slowing down…
Rather than adding one thing more every day, why not try adding one thing less?
…Try editing your days; craft them to sing concisely like memorable lines of poetry.
…Rushing is anxiety in motion.
- Mike Mason, Practicing the Presence of People

I read this on solstice letters and I think it would so help you in your decision right now.

That schedule sounds overwhelming just typing it out! I am thinking about you-- and your son!

The Cartwright Family said...

We are all there sister friend. Life demands start too early. It is so hard to find the balance. I won the mother who can't handle it all award earlier this week, so take it from someone who knows. Let the Lord lead and guide, and listen to what Nicholas wants and feels lead to do. Each day is a new day, thank the good Lord. Take a deep breath, and try to soak it all in. A move is hard for everyone. You are in my thoughts.