Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Reproduce...



Participating in Marla's read-along book club here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Radical Chapter 5:
So...I should have written this post a week ago. Tuesday, Oct 5th to be exact, when I had just completed this chapter IT was burning in my and spilling out. Today, I still love this chapter, feel its message is profoundly true and clarifying... however, today, I am deep into concerns on a personal level...and a little distracted. :( Maybe in refreshing my memory of why this chapter struck me so, it will refresh my spirit and soul as well.

Chapter 5 is a breath of fresh air that came at the perfect time. The morning before I read it, I had met with a new friend and we were talking about our life testimonies. We both had highlighted how the lack of being discipled had an impact on our walk. For me, it resulted in an 11 year prodigal time, as well as many other issues along the way.

Long story short, this chapter was the best description I have ever read of the great commission and the need for discipleship. The previous chapters in this book caused so much painful (needed) tension in my life, I just did not know what Chapter 5 was going to bring.
It was an eye-opener. It brought that kind of feeling where you keep hunting for something and missing it, and you just cannot put a name on what it is. This chapter explained to me so much what I have missed in church, and my life and even helped solidify what I want with my children. If I do nothing else, I want to walk alongside them and disciple them.
There is so much in the chapter that speaks BIG. How Jesus invested in 12 men. Small, close-knit, came along side. That is how He discipled.
I realized why I have avoided the thought of evangelism and sharing Jesus to those who do not know him, is because of my stumbling walk for so many years. I did not know what to tell them AFTER they believe in Jesus. It seemed so hard. So complicated. So prone to possible failure. Chapter 5 helped me to understand more clearly what is missing from the picture. Discipleship.
"The more I read the Gospels, the more I marvel at the simple genius of what Jesus was doing with his disciples. My mind tends to wander toward the grandiose dreams and intricate strategies, and I'm struck when I see Jesus simply, intentionally, systematically and patiently walking alongside twelve men. Jesus reminds me that disciples are not mass-produced. Disciples of Jesus..are not made overnight." p. 93


This struck me as well, with my children...expecting overnight, one size fits all transformation in them. David Platt goes on to say:

"Making disciples is not an easy process. It is trying. It is messy. It is slow, tedious, even painful at times. It is all these things because it is relational. Jesus has not given us an effortless step-by-step forumula for impacting nations for his glory. He has given us people and he has said, "Live for them. Love them. Serve them. and lead them. Lead them to follow me and lead them to lead others to follow me."

Again, I see this so much in relation to my four children. I must start at home first.

I also loved how he shared in this chapter about the church leaders in Sudan, who listen to the teachings of the Bible taking copious notes, so they can turn around and teach it to others. I remember sitting in Bible studies and thinking, I want my kids to get this. Just to realize we are not listening and feeding on the word for our own filling only, but to then turn around and feed others. It will be interesting to see how this will play out in our lives.

I have to say, Chapter 5 is with all the tension and pain of this book so far. I want to go back and read it again...before I move on to Chapter 6. You can check out other people's reactions to Chapter 5 of Radical at Marla's blog.

2 Things Others Said:

Marla Taviano said...

I so want my kiddos (and me!) to get this too!

Rachelle said...

"Chapter 5 is a breath of fresh air", boy was it ever! I kept thinking that I finally got to exhale!
This chapter was so good and it explained, for me too, what I have missed by not always having discipleship. In my case I also realized some times of discipleship that occured without me realizing what wonderful teaching had taken place in my life.I am also excited aboutthe realization that it is my resposibiity to intentionally disciple, without fear!
Loved this chapter!