Friday, August 26, 2011

God has NOT left the building..and the dishes still need washed.

This enamel dish photo courtesy of LovelyHomeVintage on etsy.com


"...take one long, deep breath and just relax. Abide. Because it’s never about your capabilities. When you’re in covenant with Christ, it’s His responsibility to cover your cracks, to be all your competency and completeness. Inabilities, in Christ, are made all-sufficient, just-right abilities. Abandon worries — and wholly abide." - Ann

I love Brother Lawrence.  Are you familiar with him?  The monk who practiced the presence of God and wrote about it. {You can get his book on Amazon).  How he practiced being cognisant that God is always here and the mundane becomes Divine. 

Gary Thomas, in his book, Devotions for Sacred Parenting,  used the phrase "infuses the mundane with profound".  I love Elizabeth Barret Browning's words, often quoted: “Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God; But only he who sees, takes off his shoes - The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.”

Gary Thomas has a devotional essay entitled God is in the Room.   I had a 2007 date next to it, and many phrases underlined.   So I know I must have read it before. But I must have forgotten, or thought God had left the building.

or else.....

or else why would I........  {fill in the blank}.

then I read Ann's words this morning, blessed that it is not my capabilities (or lack of them), but it is Christ and He is sufficient to fill my gaps.  And the way I let Him do that is practicing his presence while I am unwrapping my daily gifts of dish washing and school commutes and dinner preparation.  All these times can be waiting on the Lord, can be praying, talking ...or just quietly abiding with the realization that HE IS IN THE ROOM. 

This is my calling.  God in this.  All grace in this.  Seeing the burning bush and showing my children.

0 Things Others Said: