Friday, September 10, 2010

Ancient Words, Ever True....Words of Life, words of Hope ...

Taddy got a word....



Two days before my middle man turns 10, he called me into his bedroom last night to share with me, how he thinks God is speaking to him. And keeps confirming it.


First, one of the teachers at school was talking to him about doing his work to the best of his ability, as if he was doing it for the Lord.

Seperately, not knowing his chat with the teacher, I had talked about, at chore time, his working for Jesus as his boss, not me.

Then yesterday he received a birthday card from our pastor and his wife, and it had this quote on it: "Do all things heartily, as unto the Lord...." That was the final confirmation that made him seek me out to share....God spoke to him three times about the same thing. :)

So it was not surprise, this morning, as we were reading Proverbs 10, what verse jumped out to him. But more on that in a minute....


I have been listening to the audio cd of the book, Instructing a Child's Heart, on of the five books I had mentioned that I was in the process of reading.... I cannot RAVE about this book enough. I wish I had heard it 11 years ago...but alas, it wasn't written then...and who knows what my state of mind and heart was. This book is so humbling, convicting, true, yet hopeful, insightful and encouraging. I am come, once again, face to face with the weaknesses and failings of me and nose to nose with my Savior, who holds out hope, wisdom, and baby steps. :) I had been (still am) praying for guidance and wisdom with the stormy seas I was experiencing with my children in this present season. And one of the BIG ways God answered this prayer, was with this book.

It is funny, I "found" this book by what would appear to be serendipity....looking for another book that a fellow blogger had suggested, I came across this one as well, and knowing my stack to read was too high, I ordered the CD to listen to on my drive from school to work...etc. A week later, at the Back to School Night, the principal at my children's elementary school, shared this SAME book and read excerpts from it. They are using the concepts as part of the guiding principles for the school. :) Confirmation.

As I have been listening, and my heart has become exposed, not just to what instruction is needed for my children's hearts, but what instruction is needed for my own heart, I have felt at times overwhelmed. All that I have NOT done these past 12 years of being a mother, and all I need (MUST) do with the remaining years...and how???! Where to start??!!! Me, a broken momma...stumble-tripping through each day!

So I keep listening, learning and praying...humbly realizing God brought me to this awareness to change me and to help change them. So I prayed for a first step...a baby step. What to do...?


No sooner had that prayer left my heart, when, on the cd, the suggestion was made to read Proverbs with your children. I thought, well, that is a simple step, a first step. Don't worry over all you have not done or needs to be done...just focus on this first baby step.

So I scrounged up 5 bibles and set them on the table last night for this morning. I made 5 sticky notes that read Proverbs, and then underneath, the number 10 (for todays date) and set out five pencils. My thought was, as we read a chapter, each child could jot down the number of any verse that jumped out to them, or that they have a question on...etc.

As I was thinking this over last night and again this morning, it really resonated with me. We say His word is a light to our path, a lamp to our feet, yet, as a family together, we do not read it. We say we want to hide his word in our heart, but, yet again, we cannot hide what we do not read, together. I really feel this is something we need to do together, as a family.

So, this morning, at 7:30, before we had to leave for school, four little faces sat eagerly around the table (a fete in itself), with open Bibles on their laps, as momma opened in prayer, and we read the 10th chapter of Proverbs together. It was a challenge. Keeping focused, navigating through different versions (I am going to remedy that) and for two of my beginning readers, making it through a verse. But WE DID IT! It really felt like a wonderful start. And God's word is "alive and active"...so I know it will work in ways I do not even understand.

Not everyone had a verse that stood out to them...but even though much of what is said, Olivia does not yet comprehend, I know the active and alive Word of God will work in her heart as she sees our commitment to His ancient words.

Nick's pop out: Proverbs 10: 31-32

31 The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom,
but a perverse tongue will be cut out.

32 The lips of the righteous know what is fitting,
but the mouth of the wicked only what is perverse.




Mary's pop out: Proverbs 10: 3 and 25

3 The LORD does not let the righteous go hungry
but he thwarts the craving of the wicked.

25 When the storm has swept by, the wicked are gone,
but the righteous stand firm forever.

Taddy's pop out: God decided to echo yet again, the message he has been sending Taddy's way, as Tad said the verse that stood out to him was proverbs 10:4

4 Lazy hands make a man poor,
but diligent hands bring wealth.

I love this...a commitment to spend time as a family in God's word. I know this is only day one, but I SO desire it to become our way of life.

Ancient Words, ever true, changing me and changing you....we have come with open hearts, oh, let the Ancient Words impart!







Holy words long preserved
for our walk in this world,
They resound with God's own heart.
Oh let the ancient words impart


Words of Life, words of Hope
Give us strength, help us cope
In this world, where e'er we roam
Ancient words will guide us Home.

CHORUS:
Ancient words ever true
Changing me and changing you,
We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart

Holy words of our Faith
Handed down to this age
Came to us through sacrifice
Oh heed the faithful words of Christ.

Holy words long preserved
For our walk in this world.
They resound with God's own heart
Oh let the ancient words impart.

CHORUS x4
We have come with open hearts
Oh let the ancient words impart

0 Things Others Said: