Saturday, September 29, 2012

A song and a blessing

sat in the kitchen this afternoon, with my mom and dad {aka nanny and papa} while my oldest first played the four songs he is leading in church tomorrow...but on the guitar...for them.

then...he got his keyboard out and played one of papa's favorite songs.   I only thought to tape it when we were on the last verse.

i just sat there, with my eyes overflowing and my heart beating hard....so many memories of my hearing my dad sing this song...at church, when I was young, at nursing homes as he shared with the elderly, and now, he and momma, in their sweet, wonderful, full of age voices...joined in with my 14 year old just starting life son.


a hymn that binds the hearts of generations....

"and i'll cherish the old rugged cross,
when my trophies at last i lay down
i will cling to the old rugged cross
and exchange it one day for a crown."

Yes, Lord, so bet it.   With the generation above me, the generation below me...and the generations I yet do not know in our family.

what a blessing today...thank you.

0 Things Others Said: