Thursday, September 23, 2010

A baby step is still a step...

I want to share about Gabi and about my Nicky and how the two intersect.

Gabi Dickinson is a young lady, momma, in London on her way to Uganda. She has a heart torn up for God and orphans and her specific little sweeties waiting for her there. her plans are to travel at the first of the year (2011) back to her home (where her heart is) in Uganda.
I do not remember how our paths crossed in the blog word. It may have been somehow through Katie and a comment, I am not sure. But I have been following her for a few months now, comments on facebook, posts on her blog and thinking about her heart and what it is that is burning in her to do.


See, I envy her and Katie. Two, (of more than I would have guessed) single young women (girls really) who have their hearts broken for God and for orphans and are giving all to follow Christ in loving these. I envy them. I envy their youth and heart, not wasted as I did mine, but full of God and babies! :)
So Gabi is praying and depending on God through a hard season of waiting.
She posted, yesterday on facebook, a invitation to join a change drive here:
Change for Change in the Lives of Uganda Children
From Oct 1 to Nov 1 to put a jar in your house and throw in all that change that ends up in places and at the end of the month send it to Racham Ministries to come alongside Gabi and help her heart and body be in her home in Uganda.
That's where we come in. God has been moving on my heart lately, through Ann's writing regarding Guatemala, and reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan, and Radical by David Platt, and just wanting to make a difference and not me mediocre for God. Yet, I have a full house and have not yet seen what God would have me do. So I am taking baby steps. Sponsoring some children through Compassion international, coming along side Drawn from Water and now taking a baby step for Gabi.
See, I really want my helping to be personal. I don't want it to be something that goes out automatically and I think nothing of it. I want to write letters, to recognize faces, to give hope and help and to personally have my heart and prayers involved. So, babysteps...and waiting on God to see the more he would have us do.
So Gabi:
Last night I made our little jar.
Then I went around all the house searching out those little bowls and collection spots where I dump loose change from time to time. I put it all in our jar.
My son Nick came up and asked what I was doing and what was that jar. So I told him about Gabi and her heart and desire for God and what I was doing. He said, "Mom, I think there is more change in the laundry room".
While I was off to find that, I came back and found Nick had gone into his room and opened his piggy bank and emptied all his little savings collection into Gabi's jar. Not a fortune...but all HE had.
Even now, it swells my heart, as I see God growing in my son and making him so tenderhearted.
So our jar though little is almost full, and it is not even October 1st yet! No worry, l will transfer to a larger jar and keep going until November 1st.
Would you like to join us? You can check out Gabi's heart at her blog: I Carry You in Me., follow her on face book, Gabi Dickinson. Or just let me know and I will help you get your jar full over to her. And would you take a moment to pray for her and her children?
I know I don't have many followers, and who knows if one will set up a jar...but if even one more came along side, now wouldn't that be something? It may all be babysteps for us...but they are babysteps that make a difference and ones my children see too.

4 Things Others Said:

Leah said...

Oh! You bless my heart. Your little son blesses my heart. What a beautiful picture of His love!

I'm going out to Uganda to help Gabi in Racham's first few months. And seeing this is so encouraging.

Thank you, sweet sister in Him. I don't know you, but I can see the beauty in your heart all the way from Sweden, and I know He is saying from Heaven with a proud papa smile, "she's mine." :)

Love!
Leah

Gabi Dickinson said...

Words fail me.
Please go and wrap your arms around Nick and tell him ''thank you''. You are such a clear portrait of His heart!

Marla Taviano said...

This is just beautiful. Praising the Lord for Nick's precious heart.

Lisa-Jo Baker said...

Oh man, now those are the kinds of sons I want to raise too! Makes any mama's heart just flip right over. I hadn't heard about Gabi's journey. Thank you so much for sharing it with us! What a blessing to have so many willing to serve - whether abroad or from their very own piggy banks!!

~Lisa-Jo